Random thoughts from a seeker of Truth.

Be sure to look for my books, too!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 3, 2011 A Wrinkle in Time

Maybe it's because we're currently obsessed with "Lost" (even though the frequent time travel is getting a little muddled in the currently watched Season Four) but I have been doing some Deep Thinking of late.

Maybe it's because I recently saw my 7th grade science teacher and was reminded of her steadfast belief in a parallel universe. She told us that not only was there a parallel science class there, peopled by parallels of herself and the class, but AT THAT VERY MOMENT our counterparts were discussing the fact that there is a parallel universe. Weird.

Maybe it's several surreal experiences recently, like driving by myself to meet my sister in Orlando (like no other place on earth) for a mini-vacay, or simply the old, old human tendency to think about the what-might-have-been-if's. If we hadn't moved to Florida when I was a child. If I'd married earlier, or later, or someone else. If I'd gotten help sooner with an abusive situation. If I hadn't helped our youngest son buy that blasted Ford Explorer. If I hadn't written that. If I'd gone back to school. If we hadn't moved away, or moved back, or sold our first house, or gone to another church, or saved more money along the way.

Deep Thoughts are cheap entertainment - you can spend hours analyzing decisions. second-guessing - but they are not always the best use of time. Recently, I woke up during the night with a thought that had me tossing and turning when sleep would have been far more beneficial:

Jesus is called the Lamb that was slain from the foundation of the earth (Revelation 13:8). So why was the crucifixion necessary? Why, if the penalty had already been paid for sin, did Adam and Eve get booted out of the Garden? Why was the Law given, if the New Covenant had already been signed in blood?

There are different interpretations (google it, if you don't believe me), but a few thoughts that help me wrap my head around it are these:

1. God created Time and is thus outside of it.
2. It doesn't really matter.

We might not agree with God's handling of things. We might frequently find ourselves saying, "I don't understand." We might even (being full of pride) question God's character at times. It is a great comfort to me, however, to read Proverbs 19:21: "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."

Obviously, we're talking about the Big Purpose, the Eternal Purpose, here. Some, perhaps all, of our decisions and actions are too inconsequential to even affect the Grand Scheme of Things. But it's comforting to me to realize that no matter what, God's will is done. Eventually.

I'm not important enough in the universe to really screw things up, in other words. I'm not the Oceanic Six, who believed the world would end if they didn't return to the island. If I really, really blow it, there will be consequences, but they will be largely my own, with little effect on, say, tribal conversions on Papua New Guinea.

Of course, the parallel Ellen will screw up simultaneously, proving that misery loves company. I wonder if she exercises more than I do, or if her set of stresses is less than mine or if everything is EXACTLY THE SAME, as my science teacher thought. I hope not. I'd like to think the Other Ellen makes better choices. And yes, sometimes it almost feels like I've traded places with her for a few minutes., taken a little vacation from reality.

A four-star hotel in Orlando for the night? Really?






1 comment:

  1. u think your parallel ellen can come to Lillington;)

    ReplyDelete