Random thoughts from a seeker of Truth.

Be sure to look for my books, too!

Monday, April 26, 2010

April 26, 2010 What Would Jesus Do...About Television?

I grew up with sitcoms like “The Andy Griffith Show,” “Hazel,” “Leave it to Beaver,” and “Father Knows Best.” (Actually, when I was very young, we lived in a valley that had spotty reception, so my experience with the shows came in later incarnations as reruns.) Whereas at one time there was quite the scandal about Jeannie’s belly button (“I Dream of Jeannie”) and Rob and Laura’s sleeping arrangements (“The Dick Van Dyke Show”), things have taken a much more graphic turn these days. Only the laugh track is the same.

Those who know me know that I’m no prude—if anything, I probably err in the opposite direction in terms of openness about certain issues. As an adult, I can handle adult conversation and adult themes, even adult beverages, within the appropriate contexts. This week, however, I became convinced that if I never see another sitcom again, it won’t bother me a bit.

When my teenagers became faithful followers of “Friends,” I watched with them. The writing was tight, the actors believable, and the jokes were actually funny. It didn’t portray a godly lifestyle, but at least there were positive story lines. Compared with what I heard Monday night last week, “Friends” was mild indeed. (Sort of like watching the Beatles at the beginning, when everyone thought they were so wild-looking then and they seem so clean-cut now).

Flipping through the channels, it amazed me how—with a gazillion channels available—there was really nothing I wanted to watch. “House” was over and I’ve never seen “24”, so what was the alternative? Sadly, I stopped in to visit “Two and a Half Men.” I haven’t seen males giggle over the names for female body parts since 8th grade. I couldn’t stomach more than about five minutes before switching over to “Romantically Challenged.” Apparently Hollywood thinks spanking fetishes are hilarious. Dishonesty and promiscuity…oh, what fun!

Perhaps it was because of those distasteful, albeit brief, forays into popular television that beckoned me to try “Glee” out two nights later. I’d seen a few of its shows at the start but when teenage pregnancy, deception, homosexuality, and outright meanness began overshadowing the excellent musical numbers, I’d closed the curtain. (Those are important issues to address, no question—just not what I look for in a bit of light escapism.) The “Madonna” episode had been promoted so heavily, however, I took the bait.

Other than the ongoing feud between the girls’ PE teacher and the Glee Club director, the episode revolved around three individuals struggling with sexuality, two of whom were underage. The adults involved (the man still married to someone else) never followed through, and the caring man encouraged the woman to get therapy for her “problem.” Apparently not-wanting-to-have-sex now equals mental instability. Viewers were left hoping that surely, surely, the young female lead and the young male lead will eventually get back together, regardless of with whom they had sex or with whom they’re not ready to have sex yet or who thinks they should have sex with whom. Do they ever have time for homework?

We’re not in Kansas any more, Toto.

Then they pulled out the WWMD bracelets. “What Would Madonna Do?” …that’s right…even though the “What Would Jesus Do” phenomena eventually reached the hokey stage, at its heart the intent—asking ourselves what Jesus would do in every situation--was wonderful…obviously something Hollywood needs to ridicule.

Laughing at ourselves isn’t all bad; Christians tend to take themselves far too seriously, in my opinion. But how did we get from wholesomeness and moral lessons told with humor and sensitivity (and much better writing), to making fun of sacred ideals?

A friend of mine once shared a story of a pristine white church building. Satan knew that if he poured black paint on it, everyone would be in an uproar. Instead, he took a spray bottle of paint and just spritzed it a little each day. Spritz. Spritz. In time…and it took a long time… the white took on a slightly gray tinge. Then a darker gray…by the time it was black, everyone was used to it.

My mother uses the word “jaded” to describe this…we’ve been introduced to alternatives to what we know is true in small doses, with expert subtlety. If I’d been watching the particular shows I mentioned all along (just the thought of wasting that much time makes me shudder), I may well have missed the message. Seeing them “fresh”…and so close together…the underlying error screamed with in-your-face hostility.

What Would Jesus Do? It’s not as simple as saying he wouldn’t watch television, or even that he wouldn’t watch “Two and a Half Men.” He might watch things you couldn’t pay me to see (horror movies, for example). I don’t presume to know what he would or wouldn’t do. I’m just saying that if I’m watching something that (a) isn’t even funny/helpful/uplifting (b) isn’t really entertaining, and/or (c) goes against all I believe, I can always just turn the darn thing off.

Or at least look for Andy and Opie on “Nick at Nite.”

Permission to use with acknowledgement of source.
ellenofgillette1@aol.com

4 comments:

  1. Excellent column, Ellen!

    While I don't watch either of these shows (or any current sitcoms, for that matter), the thing that shocks me is the ratings these shows get. Obviously, lots of people are watching (regarding "Glee," lots of kids).

    Is the cart pushing the horse, though? Are the shows a reflection of what's really going on in high school today? Or is Hollywood "poisoning" our youth?

    I hear lots of stories about high school relationships. It's not about one guy going steady with one girl anymore. It's about "hooking up" and having "friends with benefits."

    Just peek in on a high school dance sometime and you'll be shocked at all the bumping and grinding you'll see. And you have to look no further than the latest headlines to know that kids think nothing of snapping naked (or worse) photos of themselves with their camera phones and launching them into cyberspace.

    So again, I wonder: Are they learning this from TV, or are the sitcom writers getting their story lines from today's kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article Ellen :0] Having been born in 1961, I have witnessed the change in TV that Ellen describes. I often use the bad stuff that crops up as a teachable moment for my daughter,Beth. We need to get rid of "laugh tracks." A lot of what is available to watch is not funny. Like the old commercial with the Indian... seeing the land polluted with garbage, Jesus would probably cry at what has taken place on television.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellen, I really enjoyed your post here. I presume that valley you referred to was Cullowhee LOL. Some people still can't get cable around here :) I have occasionally watched Two and a Half Men but have never actually watched a whole episode all the way through. Have never watched Glee at all. Mostly I sit around wondering why do I pay so much money a month to watch this stuff? But I do have a few favorites, mostly dramas. I enjoy a good laugh as much as the next person, but unfortunately I find most comedies sadly unfunny and often mean spirited and pathetic. I do find myself watching Andy and the Beave and others of that era more often than not. Friends I found funny, too. Why can't funny be clean and decent and clever? I don't really get it, but I can say if WWMD is the criterion for kids these days to choose their behavior, I'm really glad my girls are grown! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That grey line is our society's morals. We have accepted so much that we don't seem to know what is right anymore. It is so sad, no wonder todays youth don't know right from wrong, most adults don't either. Our generation was raised by parents that parented us instead of trying to be our "friends".
    Great article, I agree with you 100%. What would Jesus do, like you I don't the answer to that but I know it saddens his heart to see how far we have moved from him.
    Thanks Ellen

    ReplyDelete